For victims of domestic violence, dating violence, and/or stalking.
- Michigan Family Violence Help Line - 1-800-996-6228 (24 hour crisis line)
- Underground Railroad -1-888-399-8385
个人保护令 (commonly referred to as PPOs) are orders of the 家庭部门 of the 巡回法院 that forbid a person from certain actions. There is no charge for filing a PPO. The person filing a PPO is the petitioner and the person the PPO is filed against is the respondent.
提交PPO, fill out papers in the PPO office located in the lower level of the courthouse or contact the PPO office at (989)790-5412.
- You will need to file a complete affidavit including dates, 次, 以及事发地点, 受伤详情, 以及对事件的描述. Photographs and tape recordings are helpful.
- Your PPO will then be filed with the 第十巡回司法法院 家庭部门 Clerk's office. They will assign your case to a Judge who will rule on your request.
- Call the PPO office to find out if your ex parte request for a PPO has been granted.
- 如果你的PPO被批准, you will need to return to the PPO office to pick up your PPO and arrange for service.
- Once your PPO has been served, return the Proof of Service to the PPO office.
- 如果你的PPO被单方面拒绝, you have the right to request a hearing that must be 不iced for all parties.
一个PPO 五月命令答辩人 不 to:
- Assault, attack, beat, molest, or wound you
- Threaten to kill or physically injure you
- Remove children from you if you have legal custody
- Interfere with your efforts to remove your children or personal property
- Interfere with you at your place of employment
- Send you mail, e-mail, or any other form of communications
Penalties for violating a PPO include a maximum of 93 days in jail and/or a maximum $500 fine. The Court 五月 and does order the costs of prosecution and restitution to be paid.
- Evict a person in a landlord/tenant issue - you 五月 contact 地方法院 at (989)790-5380.
Mediate neighborhood disputes - you 五月 contact the Mid Michigan Dispute Resolution Center at (989)797-4188.
- Protect personal property from damage - you 五月 need to contact your local police agency.
- Establish custody or parenting time - you 五月 need to contact an attorney or the 法庭之友 at (989)790-5300.
Three Types of 个人保护令
国内PPO - for victims of dating or domestic violence.
符合国内PPO资格, you must establish one of the following relationships with the respondent.
- A current or former dating relationship
- Reside or resided in the same household
- And show an assault or a threat to assault, causing reasonable apprehension of violence and/or stalking.
To qualify for a non-domestic PPO, you are 不 required to prove a relationship with the respondent. However, you must establish that the respondent has shown:
- Including two separate stalking incidents.
- That would cause a reasonable person to feel terrorized, 害怕, 受到恐吓的, 威胁, 骚扰, 或猥亵.
- This PPO is to remove the requirement of a non-domestic PPO of 2 separate stalking incidents.
- A sexual assault in and of itself 五月 qualify you for a sexual assault PPO.
WARNING: Violence often gets worse if you try to leave or show signs of independence. 要特别小心.
When you are in a violent relationship, here are some things to keep in mind.
- Try to figure-out warning signs that come before an assault - drinking, 药物, 付款日, 工作不顺的一天, 等.
- Are there physical signs - clenched fists, throwing things, red face, 等?
- Try to get help before anything happens.
- Are there weapons in the house - Can you remove them or lock them up?
- Can your children learn to call the police?
你怎么从房子里出来 - Set a routine for walking the dog, 写论文, 或者倒垃圾, so that it is normal for you to leave for a short period of time?
- Your children - Send your children to friends or relatives or take them with you.
- Custody papers, judgment of divorce, 等.
- Any other papers you think you 五月 need
源自 幸存者的手册, produced by the Domestic Violence Project of Ann Arbor, MI.
These are just some generalized suggestions.
What to do if there is a violation of your PPO
If the respondent violates the PPO, immediately call 911 or your local police. When the police arrive, they 五月 arrest the respondent for violating the PPO.
To request a violation hearing when an arrest is 不 made, document the events and be sure to have evidence of the violation. You must file for a Show Cause Hearing through the Clerk's office or the PPO office.
Remember, you 五月 不 violate your own PPO. The Court 五月 sanction you for a self-violation.